Get This Look: Multi Layer Antiqued Finish
Create a gorgeous multi-color finish by following this tutorial! Scroll down to shop the products Amy used and to see instruction. Don't forget to Enjoy The Bragging Rights!
Shop Products Used:English Walnut Gel Stain
Milk Paints - we used Scandinavian Grey, Amalfi Blue, and Noir Black
Dust of Ages
- Start by staining your piece with Gel Stain, Amy used English Walnut. Take a lint-free rag and wipe the stain after applying it. Let it dry for about 2 hours.
- Then apply a layer of Cracked Gesso to your dried piece.
- Mix up your custom Milk Paint color. We used 2 teaspoons of Scandinavian Grey, 2 teaspoons of Amalfi Coast, and 2 teaspoons of Noir Black. You want the mixture to be 1 part powder to 1 part water for a thin consistency.
- Paint on your custom color, this is the darkest color you will use. Apply with a chip brush and remember to lay your piece flat.
- Next is a layer of just Scandinavian Gray Milk Paint. Mix it with one part powder and one part water. Apply with a chip brush.
- Next take Antiquing Glaze and apply with a sponge. Work at a 45 degree angle and work your way across the piece. You want to go for an organic look! We want to cover the entire piece in the glaze.
- After you've covered the piece, clean your sponge in a water bath before dipping it in to the Antiquing Glaze. Allow the Antiquing Glaze to sit for a while so that it will allow you to lift the paint. After cleaning your sponge, take it and start working it over your piece again to start pulling the paint. Keep cleaning your sponge as it gets dirty with paint.
- Once you've worn the piece to your liking, it's time to wax! Load up your Light Wax, offload it on to some cardboard. Then go over the piece in passes, try not to go over the whole piece.
- Next take your Dark Wax and feather it over the edges and various areas. You do NOT want to put the Dark Wax over your whole piece.
- Take your Dust of Ages and put it over the whole piece. Work it in with your hands once the Dark Wax and Light Wax have set or come to tack. Take a lint-free rag and buff the piece with the Dust of Ages on top.
- ENJOY THE BRAGGING RIGHTS!